Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Type:||Artigo de periódico|
|Title:||The Mass And The Factory: Attempts To Control The Spaces Of São Paulo Churches By Their Colonial Bishops (1745 - 1796) [a Missa E A Fábrica: Tentativas De Controle Dos Espaços Das Igrejas Pelos Bispos Coloniais Paulistas (1745-1796)]|
|Abstract:||The pastoral letters of the colonial bishops and the registered chapters of pastoral visits in the bishop's tumble books, both located in the bishop's towns, tell us, among other subjects, about the implementation of tridentine decrees in the Setecentista Colony. Such decrees, proceeding from the Concil of Trent and carried through by the Catholic Church in the 16th century, had to guide the performance of all the elements of the ecclesiastical hierarchy in the catholic kingdoms. The bishops were responsible for the implantation of the tridentines' devices, and for their execution. They were also responsible for demanding that all the scope of its jurisdiction was observed. When reading and analysing the pastoral visits in São Paulo - between 1745 and 1796 - we find an episcopal orientation lined up with the tridentine decrees. In this article we will focus on two aspects of the administration of São Paulo bishops: the ceremony of the Mass and the administration of the church factories.|
|Appears in Collections:||Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.