Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item:
|Type:||Artigo de periódico|
|Title:||Laboratorial diagnosis of fragile-X syndrome - Experience in a sample of individuals with pervasive developmental disorders|
|Abstract:||Fragile X syndrome is a frequent genetic disease associated to developmental disorders, including learning disability, mental retardation, behavioral problems and pervasive developmental disorders (autism and related conditions). We studied a sample of 82 individuals (69 males and 13 females) presenting with pervasive developmental disorders using three techniques for the diagnosis of fragile X syndrome (FXS). Cytogenetic analysis detected the fragile site in four males, but only one showed a consistent positive rate. Molecular study based on the PCR technique was inconclusive for most females (92.3%), which where latter submitted to Southern blotting analysis, and for one male (1.4%), excluding the FRAXA mutation in the remaining male individuals (98.6%). Molecular tests using the Southern blotting technique confirmed only one positive case (1.2%) in a male subject. These results showed that Southern blotting analysis of the FRAXA mutation has the best sensitivity and specificity for the diagnosis of FXS but also validated the PCR technique as a confinable screening test.|
pervasive developmental disorders
|Editor:||Assoc Arquivos De Neuro- Psiquiatria|
|Appears in Collections:||Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos|
Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.