Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repositorio.unicamp.br/jspui/handle/REPOSIP/35901
Type: Artigo de periódico
Title: Lipid and lipoprotein responses of dyslipidemic patients to exclusive nutritional counseling by gender and age
Title Alternative: Resposta nos lípides e nas lipoproteínas séricas ao aconselhamento nutricional exclusivo em indivíduos dislipidêmicos segundo o sexo e a idade
Author: Kinchoku, Harumi
Castanho, Vera Sylvia
Danelon, Mirian Regina Gardin
Faria, Eliana Cotta de
Abstract: OBJECTIVE: The aim of the present study was to evaluate the plasma lipid responses of dyslipidemic patients to nutritional counseling according to gender and age. METHODS: One-hundred and twenty nine dyslipidemic subjects comprised the study, 56 men and 73 women, aged 20 to 73 years, treated at the Dyslipidemia Outpatient Clinic of the Universidade Estadual de Campinas Clinic Hospital. The inclusion criteria established that no lipid-lowering medication had been used in the 30 days prior to and during the nutritional counseling. Blood samples were collected in the morning after a 12 hour fast. The participants were divided into groups according to gender and age (age <60 and &gt; 60 years). The hypercholesterolemic patients were instructed to restrict saturated fats (<7%) and cholesterol (<200mg/day). Those presenting with high triglyceride levels (&gt;300mg/dL) were asked to consume a low fat diet. Those with mixed hyperlipidemia were instructed to do both. Statistical analyses included the Wilcoxon, Mann-Whitney, Chi-square and Fisher's exact tests and Analysis of Covariance. RESULTS: After nutritional counseling, total cholesterol and triglycerides decreased by 16% and 36% in males, and by 12% and 26% in females, respectively, and Low Density Lipoprotein-cholesterol decreased by 12% in females. Only triglycerides decrease significantly. In the mixed hyperlipidemia group, the male and female triglyceride (-44% and -29%), Low Density Lipoprotein-cholesterol (+12% and -15%) and High Density Lipoprotein-cholesterol (+7% and -3%) levels differed significantly. Between the age groups, only triglyceride levels differed significantly, with adults experiencing the highest reductions (33%). CONCLUSION: Nutritional counseling effectively lowered plasma lipid and lipoprotein levels, reinforcing the benefits of dietary interventions for the treatment of dyslipidemia.
OBJETIVO: Avaliar a resposta do perfil lipídico e das lipoproteínas plasmáticas ao aconselhamento nutricional em indivíduos dislipidêmicos analisando as respostas entre os sexos e as faixas etárias. MÉTODOS: Participaram do estudo 129 indivíduos dislipidêmicos, 56 homens e 73 mulheres, de 20 a 73 anos, atendidos no Ambulatório de Dislipidemias do Hospital de Clínicas da Universidade Estadual de Campinas. Os critérios de exclusão foram: uso de medicação hipolipemiante no mínimo 30 dias antes da entrevista inicial e/ou durante o acompanhamento. Os participantes foram divididos em grupos segundo sexo e faixa etária (&gt; 60 ou <60 anos). Orientou-se restrição de gorduras saturadas (<7%) e colesterol (<200mg/dia), além das gorduras totais (<20%) para valores de triglicérides &gt;300mg/dL, nos hipercolesterolêmicos. Na hiperlipidemia mista utilizou-se ambas orientações. RESULTADOS: No sexo masculino, a redução de colesterol total e triglicerides foi de 16% e 36% respectivamente; no feminino 12%, 26%, e de 12% para a Lipoproteína de Baixa Densidade, com significância apenas para o triglicerides. Na hiperlipidemia mista, as diferenças entre os sexos foram significativas para triglicerides (-44% e -29%), Lipoproteína de Baixa Densidade (+12% e -15%) e Lipoproteína de Alta Densidade +7% e -3%), respectivamente. Entre as faixas etárias, a diferença foi significativa apenas para o triglicerides; os adultos apresentaram maiores reduções (33%). CONCLUSÃO: O aconselhamento nutricional mostrou-se efetivo na redução de lípides e lipoproteínas plasmáticos, reforçando os benefícios das intervenções dietéticas no tratamento das dislipidemias.
Subject: Grupos etários
Dieta
Dislipidemias
Sexo
Aconselhamento nutricional
Age groups
Diet
Dyslipidemias
Gender
Nutritional counseling
Editor: Pontifícia Universidade Católica de Campinas
Rights: aberto
Identifier DOI: 10.1590/S1415-52732013000200009
Address: http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/S1415-52732013000200009
http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S1415-52732013000200009
Date Issue: 1-Apr-2013
Appears in Collections:Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
S1415-52732013000200009.pdf340.49 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.