Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repositorio.unicamp.br/jspui/handle/REPOSIP/349786
Type: Artigo
Title: Carrying capacity using emergy and a new calculation of the ecological footprint
Author: Nakajima, Elisa Sayoko
Ortega, Enrique
Abstract: Carrying capacity was evaluated using emergy assessment to improve the diagnosis of problems and to make understanding sustainability easier, thereby supporting the formulation of public policies. Ibiúna County has an area of 105,800 hectare (ha) and it is located 72 km west of São Paulo, the largest Brazilian city. It has 72,029 inhabitants or 0.68 people per ha, but 2.16 people per ha of forest area. The city is only 157 years old and about 67% of its population lives in the rural area and the other 33% in the urban space. In our assessment, the percent renewability of this municipality was high (47.20%). To determine the renewable support area, the carrying capacity methodology suggested by Brown and Ulgiati (2001) was applied and the support area calculated was 306,679 ha or 0.23 people per ha. This result reveals a value for the equivalent natural area needed to absorb the impacts of the fossil fuel consumed in the production of industrial inputs used in the region. A recently proposed ecological footprint methodology was used, where the calculus of support area is based on the consumption profile of the population. This methodology was adapted to obtain an alternate carrying capacity for the county. The result was 249,650 ha or 0.29 individuals per h. This study showed the importance of preserving natural areas and it introduced the need for changes in the configuration of the county economy and in its population's lifestyle, which are needed to turn Ibiúna County into a truly sustainable region
Subject: Capacidade de suporte
Country: Amsterdam
Editor: Elsevier
Rights: Fechado
Identifier DOI: 10.1016/j.ecolind.2015.08.054
Address: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1470160X15004951
Date Issue: 2016
Appears in Collections:FEA - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
000367407000120.pdf1.14 MBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.