Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repositorio.unicamp.br/jspui/handle/REPOSIP/346201
Type: Artigo
Title: Growth potential of listeria monocytogenes in probiotic cottage cheese formulations with reduced sodium content
Author: Jesus, Ana Laura T.
Fernandes, Meg S.
Kamimura, Bruna A.
Prado-Silva, Leonardo
Silva, Ramon
Esmerino, Erick A.
Cruz, Adriano G.
Sant'Ana, Anderson S.
Abstract: In this study the growth potential (δ) of Listeria monocytogenes in six formulations of probiotic (Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis) reduced-sodium cottage cheese containing or not NaCl, combined with KCl and/or MgCl2 stored under different temperature conditions was assessed. Reduced-sodium cottage cheeses were inoculated with L. monocytogenes (approximately 103 CFU/g) and then stored at 4 °C (I), 30% of the shelf life at 4 °C and the remaining 70% at 12 °C (II) and 12 °C (III) for 28 days. A growth potential (δ) above 0.5 log CFU/g indicated that the formulation was capable of supporting the growth of L. monocytogenes. The growth potential (δ) of L. monocytogenes at 4 °C (I) was between 0.5 and 0.8 log CFU/g. Higher growth potentials (1.1–1.6 log CFU/g) were observed when the cottage cheeses were stored for 30% of the shelf life at 4 °C followed by storage for 70% at 12 °C (II). In the scenario III (28 days at 12 °C), L. monocytogenes was only able to grow in the formulation with 100% NaCl and no probiotics (F1), while in F2–F6 (probiotic formulations with different combinations of NaCl, KCl, MgCl2) the populations of this bacterium were below the quantification level (< 1 log CFU/g). Independent of the storage scenarios studied, strict conditions of hygiene during processing and use of raw materials of excellent microbiological quality are key-factors for ensuring the safety of this product as L. monocytogenes will be able to grow at low storage temperature
Subject: Vida de prateleira
Country: Reino Unido
Editor: Elsevier
Rights: Fechado
Identifier DOI: 10.1016/j.foodres.2015.12.030
Address: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0963996915302970
Date Issue: 2016
Appears in Collections:FEA - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
000371377600022.pdf631.36 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.