Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repositorio.unicamp.br/jspui/handle/REPOSIP/320164
Type: Artigo de Periódico
Title: Growth Potential Of Listeria Monocytogenes In Probiotic Cottage Cheese Formulations With Reduced Sodium Content
Author: Jesus
ALT; Fernandes
MS; Kamimura
BA; Prado-Silva
L; Silva
R; Esmerino
EA; Cruz
AG; Sant'Ana
AS
Abstract: In this study the growth potential (delta) of Listeria monocytogenes in six formulations of probiotic (Lactobacillus acidophilus and Bifidobacterium lactis) reduced-sodium cottage cheese containing or not NaCl, combined with KCl and/or MgCl2 stored under different temperature conditions was assessed. Reduced-sodium cottage cheeses were inoculated with L. monocytogenes (approximately 10(3) CFU/g) and then stored at 4 degrees C (I), 30% of the shelf life at 4 degrees C and the remaining 70% at 12 degrees C (II) and 12 degrees C (III) for 28 days. A growth potential (delta) above 0.5 log CFU/g indicated that the formulation was capable of supporting the growth of L. monocytogenes. The growth potential (delta) of L. monocytogenes at 4 degrees C (I) was between 0.5 and 0.8 log CFU/g. Higher growth potentials (1.1-1.6 log CFU/g) were observed when the cottage cheeses were stored for 30% of the shelf life at 4 degrees C followed by storage for 70% at 12 degrees C (II). In the scenario III (28 days at 12 degrees C), L monocytogenes was only able to grow in the formulation with 100% NaCl and no probiotics (F1), while in F2-F6 (probiotic formulations with different combinations of NaCl, KCl, MgCl2) the populations of this bacterium were below the quantification level (<1 log CFU/g). Independent of the storage scenarios studied, strict conditions of hygiene during processing and use of raw materials of excellent microbiological quality are key-factors for ensuring the safety of this product as L monocytogenes will be able to grow at low storage temperature. (C) 2015 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.
Subject: Cottage Cheese
Microbiological Safety
Foodbome Pathogens
Salt Reduction
Shelf-life
Reformulation
Editor: ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV
Citation: Food Research International. ELSEVIER SCIENCE BV, n. 81, p. 180 - 187.
Rights: fechado
Identifier DOI: 10.1016/j.foodres.2015.12.030
Address: http://www-sciencedirect-com.ez88.periodicos.capes.gov.br/science/article/pii/S0963996915302970
Date Issue: 2016
Appears in Collections:Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File SizeFormat 
000371377600022.pdf563.53 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.