Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repositorio.unicamp.br/jspui/handle/REPOSIP/197751
Type: Artigo de periódico
Title: [corneal Allograft Rejection: Topical Treatment Vs. Pulsed Intravenous Methylprednisolone - Ten Years' Result].
Author: Costa, Dácio Carvalho
Castro, Rosane Silvestre de
Camargo, Mariela Soares Ferraz de
Kara-José, Newton
Abstract: To evaluate the efficacy of intravenous 500 mg methylprednisolone in addition to topical treatment with 1% prednisolone in the treatment of the first episode of corneal endothelial rejection in patients that were submitted to corneal allograft transplantation. Retrospective case-control study with 81 patients that presented the first episode of corneal endothelial rejection and were treated within the first 15 days of the onset of symptoms. 67 patients were treated with 1% topical prednisolone acetate and pulsed intravenous methylprednisolone 500 mg at the diagnosis of corneal allograft rejection. Fourteen patients were submitted to topical treatment only, thus forming the control group. Forty-one of 67 patients (61.2%) that were submitted to pulsed steroid had good outcome and 26 (38.8%) presented corneal graft failure while only 4 of 14 patients (28.57%) that received only topical steroids evolved with clear grafts and the remaining 10 patients (71.43%) with graft failure. Chi-square showed statistically significant association (p<0.05) to greater success with pulsed methylprednisolone. This study suggests that the use of 500 mg intravenous methylprednisolone in addition to 1% topical prednisolone acetate for the treatment of endothelial corneal allograft rejection presents better outcomes in reverting corneal allograft rejection when compared to isolated use of 1% topical prednisolone acetate.
Subject: Administration, Topical
Adult
Anti-inflammatory Agents
Case-control Studies
Corneal Transplantation
Drug Therapy, Combination
Female
Glucocorticoids
Graft Rejection
Humans
Infusions, Intravenous
Male
Methylprednisolone
Middle Aged
Prednisolone
Retrospective Studies
Treatment Outcome
Rights: aberto
Identifier DOI: 
Address: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18408839
Date Issue: -1-Uns- -1
Appears in Collections:Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File SizeFormat 
pmed_18408839.pdf704.93 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.