Please use this identifier to cite or link to this item: http://repositorio.unicamp.br/jspui/handle/REPOSIP/106166
Type: Artigo de periódico
Title: Corneal Allograft Rejection: Topical Treatment Vs. Pulsed Intravenous Methylprednisolone - Ten Years' Result [rejeição De Transplantes De Córnea: Tratamento Tópico Vs. Pulsoterapia - Resultados De 10 Anos]
Author: Costa D.C.
de Castro R.S.
Ferraz de Camargo M.S.
Kara-Jose N.
Abstract: Purpose: To evaluate the efficacy of intravenous 500 mg methylprednisolone in addition to topical treatment with 1% prednisolone in the treatment of the first episode of corneal endothelial rejection in patients that were submitted to corneal allograft transplantation. Methods: Retrospective casecontrol study with 81 patients that presented the first episode of corneal endothelial rejection and were treated within the first 15 days of the onset of symptoms. Results: 67 patients were treated with 1% topical prednisolone acetate and pulsed intravenous methylprednisolone 500 mg at the diagnosis of corneal allograft rejection. Fourteen patients were submitted to topical treatment only, thus forming the control group. Forty-one of 67 patients (61.2%) that were submitted to pulsed steroid had good outcome and 26 (38.8%) presented corneal graft failure while only 4 of 14 patients (28.57%) that received only topical steroids evolved with clear grafts and the remaining 10 patients (71.43%) with graft failure. Chisquare showed statistically significant association (p<0.05) to greater success with pulsed methylprednisolone. Conclusions: This study suggests that the use of 500 mg intravenous methylprednisolone in addition to 1% topical prednisolone acetate for the treatment of endothelial corneal allograft rejection presents better outcomes in reverting corneal allograft rejection when compared to isolated use of 1% topical prednisolone acetate.
Editor: 
Rights: aberto
Identifier DOI: 
Address: http://www.scopus.com/inward/record.url?eid=2-s2.0-58849127880&partnerID=40&md5=303ccda0f617e9f51b0442e37d9bea08
Date Issue: 2008
Appears in Collections:Unicamp - Artigos e Outros Documentos

Files in This Item:
File Description SizeFormat 
2-s2.0-58849127880.pdf695.84 kBAdobe PDFView/Open


Items in DSpace are protected by copyright, with all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated.